Lucy in the Sky by Anonymous

Lucy in the Sky by Anonymous
Publication Date: May 1 2012
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pages: 288
Purchase: Amazon | B&N | Simon & Schuster

A riveting first-person tale of addiction, in the tradition of Go Ask Alice and Jay’s Journal.

The author of this diary began journaling on her sixteenth birthday. She lived in an upper middle class neighborhood in Santa Monica with her mom, dad, and Berkeley-bound older brother. She was a good girl, living a good life…but one party changed everything. One party, where she took one taste—and liked it. Really liked it.
Social drinking and drugging lead to more, faster, harder… She convinced herself that she was no different from anyone else who liked to party. But the evidence indicates otherwise: Soon she was she hanging out with an edgy crowd, blowing off school and everything she used to care about, all to find her next high.
But what goes up must come down, and everything—from her first swig, to her last breath—is chronicled in the diary she left behind.

Review:

A novel similar to Go Ask Alice, Lucy in the Sky chronicles the story of a 16 year old girl whose life is turned inside out by the pressure of drugs and alcohol. Her battles are many and her victories are temporary as she struggles through the pangs of adolescence.

Reading her journal and not knowing her name seems like a breach of privacy, but the story pulls and tugs until its message is clear. The narrator has an average life with caring parents and brother, but her social life is a void she aches to fill. Enter Ross, Lauren, Ian, and Blake; the friends who fill the friendship void the summer before her junior year and introduce her to a world of parties and good feelings.

The small band of friends experiment with drugs as if it were a harmless hobby. A line is drawn at the more lethal drugs until the bands of peer pressure, being one of the gang, tighten and squeeze every ounce of resistance out of the narrator. Not wanting to feel like the only one not having ‘fun’ fuels her dark determination, even when her friends up the ante with the worst of drugs imaginable.

Lucy in the Sky tells a story in which readers will feel the roller coaster waves of emotion. Pride that the narrator makes friends, hope that she’ll just say no, and a little anger, sadness, and disappointment from the consequences of her actions. To experience Lucy in the Sky is to experience a darker side of YA realistic fiction.

Comments

1. Wow, this sounds really, really interesting!

2. hannaha says:

ive read the book and it is amazing!!!!!!

• did you understand the ending? with the flashback? cause i kinda wanna know what happened in full detail lol

• as for the flashback, tyheyre not flashbacks, shes high so she just sees everything in flashes and then when shes int he hospital, cam is telling her about what happened because she cant remember and he says that they were looking for her for days and finally, he knew she was with ian and just as he was about to go to ians house, ross called him, crying yelling that she was dying and they called an ambulance and then she woke up int he hospital, it doesnt go into detail about why ross thought she was dying, she asks cam and he just says “you dont remembver, do you?” and so we never find out.

• Camille says:

It really was. i read the entire book in two days. i couldn’t set the book down when i started reading it.

3. what exactly happened to her at the end…i mean, not to give anything away, but when she was having flashbacks of that one night, what exactly happened? does anyone know? or was it just not fully mentioned?

• Candace Hawkins says:

Hi Cathy, I’m not exactly sure whether you’re talking about the end of the story or a specific event in the middle of the story, but there aren’t any ‘flashbacks’. At one point the narrator describes events as ‘flashes’ because that’s just how she remembers it. The whole story is told in the form of a diary where the narrator is in the present, telling readers about what she’s done in the past, like the day or week before. Hope this helps you understand the story.

4. I would recomend this book to anyone that has a teenager in general. Go Ask Alice is a great book, this is in tradition and its more of an updated, modern version of the classic book. It had the same concept. I could not put this book down, it was fantastic

5. Caroline says:

This book was really good except I didn’t really understand the ending. It seemed like she was doing so well but then bam she was dead? That confused me, a lot. I know this is a diary but reading this made me shake my head several times. I’m a teen and I’ve never done drugs and reading this made me certain of my choice to never do them, ever.

• the point of the end – as it is the same point made with go as alice – is that she was lying to herself. she was never better she was just trying to convince herself that she was. so the moment she went back to see ross in the end, you get the idea that this girl is going to go back to her old ways.

6. doubleo says:

Hi carloine I know what you mean but its Its how all the books made like go ask alice end .

7. courtney says:

i am absolutely in love with this book. her story is pretty much my story and i could relate 100%. im truely grateful there are books like this out there for people to try to help them understand addiction and the horrors it causes people and their families. im so glad i found this book while in recovery so i could enjoy it as much as i did.

8. Natalie says:

This would be perfect for a movie and more people need to be aware of this book, as far as the ending goes, the last thing she remembers before waking up in the motel in palm springs was her n Blake n he offered her something that he body couldnt handle, and noone would tell her in detail wat happened that’s all I’m gonna say I don’t wanna ruin it for others, and it’s obvious once she left palm springs she relapsed one last time… Its really hard to find a good book that can relate to real life for young adults these days that isn’t rated G or PG I’m glad I found this book, any curiosity I had before about certain drugs has been confirmed with the detail in the book I love it. If anyone is a aspiring director or has connects to one PLEASE MAKE THIS INTO A MOVIE rated R only give the book the justice it deserves…

9. michelle says:

well do you guys know the name of all the characters i need them ?

10. gracelynn says:

I love the book I wanna read more like it does anyone have others in mind just it please help lol

11. Does she really die at the end? Like, it says she does, but can someone confirm it for me? I wanna make sure I’m not misreading it.

12. Such a disturbing and sad tale. Exactly why I have never touched drugs nor do I ever want to! I hope this changes everyone’s view on legalizing weed

• Amen sister! The world just keeps getting worse and worse though, so more and more drugs are going to be made easier to become accessible as time goes on.

13. ive read this book and its truly amazing!

14. I just wanted to know…. Does she hve a name? I didnt see even a first name mentioned…

• I was assuming her name was Lucy because Lucy in the Sky literally means someone is high and Lucy clearly gets high in the book. That’s what I think

• Makenzie says:

Lucy in The Sky With Diamonds is an abbreviatoion for LSD, and that’s why it’s called Lucy in the Sky. They are keeping her anonymous, that’s why they never mention her name. If her name was Lucy, the book probably wouldn’t be called what it is.

• This book is a work of fiction, it says so on the book. They don’t have to keep anyone anonymous

• They keep the author anonymous and change all the names in the book or exclude last names, if they didn’t it would break the law & the book would be banned. Like they said it’s called Lucy in the sky because of the background of getting high but readers can identify the reader as “Lucy” even though it is not her name. Same thing with Go Ask Alice.

15. this book is completely and utterly my life… I’m not proud of it at all but now that i’ve read it I want to try and change my ways, meth is a completely different drug than any other thing, (such as acid, mollys, weed…) it’s addictive, addictive enough to take over your life. it’s all i think about now, it’s all I ever want to do, teenagers these days need to be more aware of this epidemic because it is going around a lot more these days. schools need to supply these books to teenagers because reading it made me reevaluate my life. I completely relate to this book, it’s spot on.

16. Just finished the book today, it was amazon and very hard to put down. i have read all the journals and the stories are just so deep and about make me cry.

17. This book is amazing , i recomend it to anybody out there. User or not its an amazing book to read.:)

18. cecilia says:

i loved the book, i havent’t read go ask alice, but now i totally will. but i did’t quite get the ending, did the girl really die? was she really in recovery, or she had already died?

19. I am 20 years old, and even though I’m older than the general audience the book still is unsettling to me. I about had to stop reading the book less than half way through, but since I bought it I made myself. I enjoyed Go Ask Alice and Jay’s Journal, but Lucy in the Sky…. wow. If you think Go Ask Alice is bad.. (not like a bad read, just generally unsettling), “Lucy in the Sky” is even worse. I wouldn’t recommend it to anybody younger than 18, squeamish, or extremely religious… but it is an intense journal that you can’t put down. I read it in 5 hours. The book opens your eyes to see that addiction can happen to anybody and the whole time I just wanted to shake “Lucy” and make her stop, because she didn’t even realize what she was getting herself into.

20. Jesiree says:

So she dies and she thinks she’s alive? I’m so confused lol.

21. Brooke. says:

I couldn’t put the book down, my eyes were glued to it, my parents were astonished when they found out i read it within two days

22. I’m in the 8th grade and I just finished it. It was a really good book. I honestly had not realized there was this many drugs in the world. And I know there’s more. It taught me a lot actually. I feel as if this is a snowball affect one hit leads to the end. It taught me a lot. And I feel as if I have my control of my own decisions. I just really wonder who wrote it. It would be amazing to meet them. Just to ask them how it all happened.

23. can someone please explain to me what actually happens in the end

if she dies when she overdoses than why does she write in the hospital and when she gets home